Author Topic: Another 51 two door  (Read 5311 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another 51 two door
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 10:22:35 AM »
Y'all know the asking price that was in the ad.  Comments in this thread ran from "a tempting price" for desirable model to "gone forever, hacked up", unrestorable, as they do on many cars discussed in this forum.  I'll tell you he came down.  But the reason you very seldom hear actual selling prices is partly because it is private information for both the seller and the buyer and also because it is therefore impolite to inquire.   

Perhaps some need to consider that a hobbyist like myself sees nothing damning about a collector car with some modifications to make it more drivable, safer, better mileage, more comfortable, etc.   A car which outwardly, to the public, maintains Kaiser awareness, Kaiser presence, evokes "Kaiser in the family" memories should not receive insults, should it?     

Thanks to those with a broad hobby perspective, offering positive comments, willing to help where they can.

I appreciate the decorum you present here but respectfully disagree that it is impolite to talk price.  Embedded here over the past several years are many posts referencing price and what is fair and what is extreme.  Many cite price guides. How do you think price guides reach their over inflated pricing? 

You as the buyer has every right to express price but you obviously feel you over paid for it and therefore we as a community will have raised eyebrows.  I don't care what you paid for it, I care about the seller and how much he came down as a percentage of asking price. 

Unknown to you is that I get as many as 10 inquiries a week from all communities asking for pricing assistance on purchases.  You bought a neat car, a neat body style and I wish you well.  I have no issue with the modifications made to any car because there is plenty of old car inventory out there, whether modifications are made or not, there will always be a selection of (potentially) original cars to supply those insistent of original stock.

Go to any small town "show and shine" festival show and 75% of the cars have some or a lot of modifications. 

Private information?  Ok, I just sold a 1972 Buick Centurion convertible for $1000, my asking price, for a car I bought for $1700. I just sold my 1950 Hudson Commodore 8 for $100 that I purchased for $1750.  Big deal.
No old cars owned.

StillOutThere

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 04:11:39 PM »
No problem here with talking about car values speculatively, what the market is, whether an ad is high or a great deal.   But to expect me to give you the figure for what the buyer received would be wrong and impolite as the buyer.  He may not want you to know for many reasons and this is a public forum.  He may read it.  He may be a member.     

For you to surmise that I paid too much and am unhappy with the car is simply ridiculous and unacceptable.   You are imposing your opinions into this public place.   RIDICULOUS, to repeat.

Where do value guides come from?   What? - you haven't looked at their printed answer to that?   They come largely from auction results.  Also from input from major club officers of actual sales.  Also they are moderated by a panel of hobby experts through a round-table discussion process.  A personal friend was one of the experts for Old Cars Price Guide until his passing.   

If you care to post your losses, wonderful.  Do you also post the killer deals you make?

Anyone see ANY reason why the K-F club has trouble getting and keeping members?
'34 Terraplane convertible coupe
'51 Kaiser Deluxe coupe
'52 Spohn Palos cabriolet
'53 Nash-Healey
'57 Chrysler 300C convertible

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 05:15:06 PM »
Fair points indeed.  In reviewing my positions in this thread, I have stated definitive opinions, rather then luke warm topical conversations. 

ALL old clubs are losing members that I know of. As recently as 2011, I was a member of 5 clubs, and all are losing members.  It has far more to do with changing demographics and what potential younger members are into.  It's not club joining.

Good luck with your car. Based on your owned cars, I see you are more then capable of sorting this one out. 
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 05:19:20 PM »
If you care to post your losses, wonderful.  Do you also post the killer deals you make?

I wish.  Of the 250 cars I have owned in the last 32 years, I may have made money on 35 of them, and in that case, the most profit I made was $1500.    Mostly I lose about $500 per car.  So, $500 x 215 cars = $107,500 loss in 32 years. 
No old cars owned.