Author Topic: FUEL FILTER TRAPINGS  (Read 867 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
FUEL FILTER TRAPINGS
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:37:57 AM »
Here is a pic of my in-line fuel filter on my Darrin.
It is located just below the battery box.

This show what has been collected in 2 years of use--about 2,500 miles.
This shows that 1, a filter is definitely required, and 2 placement at carb inlet doesn't save your fuel pump.

N.B.  that I buy regular gas from reputable stations.

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
Re: FUEL FILTER TRAPINGS
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »
I totally agree with you, I got worst (more deposits) than that in an inline filter that I removed at the beginning of this season after less mileage than what you did.

I did not replace the filter yet because it was a fire hazard being on top of the exhaust manifold + it was downstream of the fuel pump.

I still need to find a way for an inline filter upstream of the fuel pump, away from the exhaust manifold.
Winter project.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: FUEL FILTER TRAPINGS
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »
Terry
I have a 55 Stude that I used a filter that was a duplicate to what you are using.  Some time ago, I was active in a SDC chapter that was 130 miles away. Just running the car in the back yard collected some trash, but driving the 55 over the roads to a meet 130 miles away shook up the gas tank enough to loosen a lot more trash - enough to completely fill and plug the filter. But I was prepared and had a duplicate ready to exchange.
Those filters can be disassembled for cleaning and replacement plastic screens are available, but I would not advise buying any and this is the reason. You can disassemble the filter and wipe out the glass with a paper towel and then clean the rest with spray carb cleaner. You can do this by the side of the road. However, the metal is soft and repeated disassembly will strip the threads that hold the filter together.
I didn't have a problem with the glass or the sealing o-rings. Once the filter no longer was collecting much sediment, I replaced it with a sealed white plastic filter. 
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170