Author Topic: 1949 Kaiser SPECIAL not deluxe (after everyone's help)  (Read 17294 times)

RSB3

• View Profile
    • Email
1949 Kaiser SPECIAL not deluxe (after everyone's help)
« on: January 12, 2010, 09:10:12 PM »
I am looking at a 1949 Kaiser Deluxe and it has all the original parts, engine is rough and may need some work, body is fairly straight with minimal surface rust but no rust through the skin.  The interior is really rough but all the parts are there.  The bumpers have been rechromed and are perfect and wrapped in paper.  New tires, typical large whitewalls and it has a visor also. one rear side (small) window is cracked.  Steering wheel is cracked.  it is a one owner car.

What do you think this car is worth?

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:19:23 PM by RSB3 »

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1949 Kaiser Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »
There are two tags on K-F products such as this one with important information for potential buyers.  There is a tag on the firewall with numbers such as PAINT, TRIM, TR, AG, SPEC-FO and so on.  The numbers on this tag help to identify how the body was originally built (paint color, upholstery material and interior color, transmission type, etc).  The other tag is on the driver side front door frame by the hinges.  It is the car serial number tag and in this case begins with K492 or K502.

If you can post the numbers from these two tags, identifying what numbers are found by what headings, I can let you know how the car was set up so you can tell how much of the work done on it is correct.   I'm sure you will agree that the outcome can be significant in terms of value.

Jack Mueller
Club Historian

j762538

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:16:53 PM »
www.nadaguides.com can give you rough estimates.
51 Kaiser Deluxe Traveler 2 door
54 Kaiser Early Special 4 door

RSB3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:44:24 PM »
Thanks for the info on the identification numbers.  I will try to find that info out.  The car is not currrently running but does appear to have all the parts and pieces, the rust is minimal.  The interior is torn out but they have all the seat frames/springs, new carpet kit and headliner material for it.  The body is straight with very few dings.  It has a manual transmission with an inline 4 or flathead may be the right term.  It appears to be a standard Kaiser Deluxe, it does have the visor over the front split window and is a 4 door.  I would think everything is original to the car which would be a plus.

Thanks again,
Bob

montefrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 07:05:44 PM »
"It has a manual transmission with an inline 4 or flathead may be the right term."

??? Hope this is a miss type. All 49 Kaiser and Frazer models came with an inline 226 CI flat head 6. If it really has a 4, someone transplanted it.

RSB3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
Ok, i have the info on this car Model 491, Body 1, Paint 190, Trim 111, TR 2 - this was on the firewall
Model #4942
Yes it does have a 6 in it

and I bought it...

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 08:22:49 PM »
If it's a model K491 then it is a Special (standard model). The 1949 deluxe would be a model K492 and would have the car's color (such as "Onyx", "Bermuda Tan", "Caribbean Coral", "Crystal Green", "Academy Blue"...) on the front fender flanks. The Special had a one barrell carb whereas the deluxe models had a 2 barrell carb and most deluxe models had overdrive, although some Specials did too and some had it added by a restorer. The "TR 2" on the tag indicates standard transmission without overdrive.
In any case, it's a very nice driving/riding car and very easy to get running and keep running.  When you get it on the road and take it to shows or wherever, rest assured you'll have the only one there!
Keep us updated on your progress and by all means, check back in with any questions you may have.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:30:35 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

RSB3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »
Ok I have a special is what I am getting from the numbers I provided.  It is basically primer right now but the body is pretty straight with minimal surface rust.  it does have a single barrel carb. the original color was a green color and the interior was a brown/bronze color (dash)

I paid $800 for it and all the parts are there, the seats are out and stripped to the frame/coils. and the engine will need work to get back to running order.

I pick it up tomorrow and will take some pictures to post.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:34:46 PM »
Paint code 190 is "Executive Green."
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

RSB3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 08:47:13 PM »
The wheel paint is in pretty good shape and I really like that color!  The interior push (door openers) are very deteriorated, do you know of replacement parts for these? I will need new upholstery for the seats, has a new carpet kit and headliner kit.  I will need to go through all the parts and see what is good and what needs replacement.
The driver side window is cracked and the right rear passenger smaller window is cracked but all the other glazing is good.  Are there window guides available in the after market? They are dried up.

thanks!
Bob

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 10:00:55 PM »
1949 Kaisers are one of the easiest to find parts for of all K-F products.  There are many sources within the Kaiser-Frazer Owners Club that can help you with parts, etc.  Now that you have the car and before you go further, I would recommend you get the following:

1.  1947-49 (blue cover) Kaiser-Frazer Shop Manual
2.  1949 Illustrated Kaiser-Frazer Parts List (thick book)

Many parts vendors work off part numbers rather than general and sometimes vague descriptions...you can get those out of the Parts List, with drawings and pictures to identify specific items.  The service manual goes into more detail on things than a generic MOTOR shop manual.  You may find some of the information on the KFOCI HANDBOOK VERSION 4.0 CD interesting; new members in the club get that when they join. 

Two other quick things.  First of all, is there an "A" on your door post serial number tag (as in K491-A001234)?  Also, where are you located?  There may be members of the club in your area and perhaps one (or more) of them have a 1949 or a 1950 Kaiser Special (except for serial numbers, 1949 and 1950 models are identical).   People who own and/or have restored one can be helpful with ideas and tips on where to get things.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:02:45 PM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »
I have the shop manual available on CD in pdf format. Check out my site at http://www.kfnut.com Look under stuff for sale.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

RSB3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »
I will check on the door post for the serial number, is it stamped or is it a sticker? what does the 'A' signify?
I am located in Idaho
Thanks for the info,
Bob

RSB3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 02:41:06 PM »
The number on the door is K491-004742

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 03:02:42 PM »
Hello...your car is a Deluxe. It has fancier upholstery, the 2bbl carb, wider rocker trim with door bottom trim and other upgrades that should include stuff like overdrive, wheel trim rings and a steering column mounted map light. Serial numbers started with 1001.