Author Topic: Kaiser Frazer newby  (Read 5712 times)

Datmungo

• View Profile
    • Email
Kaiser Frazer newby
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
Hello all! I recently purchased a 1948 Frazer Manhattan for $2k. It has original 28,000 miles on it, barn find on craigslist. The owners son was liquidating everything and I bought it. Back in the 60's the owner did body work and never painted it, so it has a lot of patina. Any advice as to what to look out for, where to get parts (is there a certain website, shop, etc.). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser Frazer newby
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:56:26 PM »
NAPA is a great source for most mechanical parts. There is a listing by a KFOCI member that
lists K/F/HJ items by NAPA parts numbers .His name is Richard Hansen, member 3719.

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
KF parts vendor Rudy Phillips at 760-789-3608
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »
Please check out my web site and compare vendor prices.  If I can help please let me know.  Mike  www.tarheelkf.com
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:55:28 AM »
Here are some things you should do fairly soon if not right away:

1.  Join the KFOCI.  You have access to parts sources and can run free WANTED ads in the monthly newsletter as well as shop the parts for sale stuff.  You also get access to info on club events in your area; most include swap meets or at the very least you can talk to people with cars like yours for ideas, etc.  You can join on the club website.

2.  The BLUE COVER Kaiser-Frazer factory shop manual covering 1947-48-49-50 model years.  The material here includes a lot of stuff that came out as service bulletins after the GREEN COVER version came out in 1948.

3.  The April 1948 ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST book for 1947-48 model year cars.  Most sellers--including club vendors--often work off factory part numbers, especially if there are changes made during production.

Question:  Does the car have the 100bhp engine or the (optional that year) dual manifold 112 bhp motor;  dual manifold has a 2 barrel carb, the 100 bhp version a single barrel type.  This will be important to know as the different platforms used different parts in some areas.

4.  When you join, be sure to get KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 4.0.  It is a CD with around 500 pages of information on K-F products including the 1948 Frazer Manhattan.  If they are out, the KFOCI Club President indicated last year that the first update, Version 5.0 will come out sometime in 2013;  this has over 1,000 pages of material.

Datmungo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »
Thanks and its the dual carb 112 bhp motor. The car runs perfectly, better than my 71 beetle. Also for paint, where can i find original paint colors. It was maroon on top and creame body. I dont know exactly what maroon and what creame, so where i could find that would be helpful. The only parts i need are the emblums. Also, would it be a discrace to clear coat it as it is now and have a "ratty" look to it? Or would it be considered cool. I know on some cars it makes it look amazing, but since frazers are relatively more rare than lets say, a Bel-Air or a Nova, i'm having difficulty making up my mind. Also, where can i go to get the tube type radio going again? That would be really cool, since the nobs and class to the head unit are still intact. Also, for upholstery, what fabric would be ideal? Thanks in advance. Lastly, would it be cool to put airbags on it and drop it to the ground? Or no? How would i go about this if the car is still running on 6 volt? Would i have to get them custom made? I'm only 18 so please excuse my ignorance. I just want a super cool car that i can go to tbe beach in and go to car shows with. Thanks!

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »
where can i go to get the tube type radio going again? That would be really cool, since the nobs and class to the head unit are still intact.

Have you joined the Club? There is a club member who repairs radios. His info (& more vendor sources) can be found in the Monthly News Bulletin.

If you're not in the Club, please consider joining. Send an email to bulletin@kfclub.com and I will send you a sample Bulletin that includes a Membership Application. Or, you can go right now to kfclubmembership.com and join online by credit card or PayPal.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

Datmungo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »
Well, quite embarressingly enough, i dont have a credit card or paypal. So i'll have to wait on that.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
You have a plate on the firewall with various headings and numbers.  The 3 digit number at the PAINT HEADING is the original color of the car.  It will identify if it was factory painted two-tone or single color.  Your local Ditzler jobber can run that number to the corporate Color Library and they can provide him current mixing formulas so the original colors can be made up.  Corporate will not charge the jobber for the mixing information but the jobber is not supposed to give the info to the customer.

In fact, if you can post the numbers off that tag, I can translate it into useful information.

Personally, it would NOT, repeat NOT be cool to add air bags, lower it, etc.  As you have noted correctly, these cars are on the rare side and if it's in good condition (especially with the more powerful engine for that year) it would be best to return it to original type condition.

If you want, a membership application can be scanned and forwarded to you as an email attachment.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »
I'll have to wait on that.

You can still request a sample Bulletin. Then mail the application with payment when you're ready.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

Datmungo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 12:47:01 PM »
Okay, first off i attached an image of the plaque with all the details of the car, second where can i find the windshield wipers or something similar? How do they work? Vacuum or electric motor (only asking because our 39 cadillac has vacuum wipers)? Also, there are two knobs, one says OD and the one below it says D. Overdrive is engaged when the D is pulled, what is the OD knob do? 

Also, the majority of people i ask say it would look good to clear coat the body instead of paint it original colors, due to its patina. I'm on the fence about it, opinions?

Lastly, it has been overheating a bit, even after just driving it a couple of miles. Is that due to the honeycomb radiator? Or something more serious. I have an 08 corvette radiator laying around that i have measured and will fit, is that something i should consider?

Thanks in advance, i apologize if my questions seem obvious. This is the only place to get real information about my car!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
I can repair the radio. I do quite a few of them.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 08:50:48 PM »
Hello...some info on your car:
From the trim tag:
Model 486 = 1948 Frazer Manhattan
Paint 521 = Buckeye Maroon/Doeskin
Trim 321 = Maroon and beige broadcloth

The wipers are vacuum. There are two chrome knobs on the top of the dash. One controls the defroster motor and the other the wipers. Chances are, the cable is frozen so it'll need lubed. The wiper motor is under the hood and attached to the upper center of the firewall.

The over heating is probably due to a dirty cooling system. You should flush it out and replace the coolant with fresh. Also, check to make sure the fan belt is tight. Even a little slipping will cause the water pump to run slower than it should, causing overheating.

The OD knob should control the overdrive. Perhaps that cable broke so someone added the D knob. That's usually the throttle knob.

Hope this helps!

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 09:05:03 PM »
Color options are a personal choice, and I prefer the factory colors--the beige and cream on this one are actually quite nice looking.  But if you like the "patina" look, that would be all right too.  Just make sure you don't have any hidden, pitting rust that will cause you problems later.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 09:50:12 AM »
The Heater was factory installed (HR with a 1).  Overdrive was also factory installed (TR with a 1) and the rear axle ratio is 4.27:1 (RA with a 1) which was the ratio installed on Frazers in 1948 that had overdrive transmission.

I've attached the KFOCI HANDBOOK information for the 1948 Frazer Manhattan from the upcoming Version 5.0; this has production counts by month so you can peg the month your car came off the production line.  The serial number on the door post tag, like the body tag on the firewall starts at "1001" so subtract 1,000 from them to find out where the car actually sits.  There can be a gap in the time period between SCHED 99 and the month the door post serial number works to.