Author Topic: WONT START AFTER CLIMBING A HILL  (Read 4071 times)

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
WONT START AFTER CLIMBING A HILL
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »
HEY GUYS IVE BEEN DRIVING MY 48 AROUND TO MY BROTHERS PLACE AND I DRIVE OVER A MOUNTAIN,,I THINK ITS ABOUT 3 MILES OR MORE UP ONE SIDE IT GETS UP AROUND 180 ON THE HEAT GUAGE BUT NEVER REALLY REALLY  OVER HEATS but once i get to where im going the car hasnt wanted to start back when its hot,,today i green horned it and had to push start it it fires right up when roll starting,,,any ideas?...
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: WONT START AFTER CLIMBING A HILL
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:59:46 PM »
I suspect vapor lock. Push starting the car got the fuel pump turning fast enough to overcome the vapor lock and that's why it restarted. My 48K would lock up at the first sign of heat. I replaced the fuel pump, made sure I had a good carburetor, and rerouted the fuel line away from the manifold and it made a big difference.

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »
if it is vapor lock could i prime the carb and it start?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 05:54:10 PM »
Priming the carb can work depending on how hot the lines / pump are. It usually works. I just got in the habit of carrying a can of gas in the trunk of my '48 Frazer as it vapor-locked all the time during the summer.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
how about wrapping the pump and lines with some kind of insulating tape or like a heat blanket for a turbo,,,or maybe make a aluminum plate to go under the carb to block the heat.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
Today's fuel is much more volitile, meaning it vaporizes at a much lower temperature. So, the idea is to keep the fuel as cool as possible. You can try wrapping the fuel line with an insulating tape, and keeping the line away from the hot manifold will help as well.

Most folks with vapor lock problems add an electric fuel pump in line to help push fuel up to the carb. That virtually eliminates issues with vapor lock.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:50:45 PM »
Carrying a small water bottle could be a temporary  fix. If it happens again pour a cup of water on
pump and some on the fuel line and it should fire up. It is safer than pouring gas into a hot carb.
My friend and I did that and the car backfired and caught his '54 Kaiser on fire.

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 10:26:22 PM »

These guys are probably on the right track but Ill throw this out Does it crank over as fast when it is hot as when it is cold? Weak starting systems can be aggravated by heat and the vehicle would start quickly with a push..

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 11:52:41 PM »
Today's fuel is much more volitile, meaning it vaporizes at a much lower temperature. So, the idea is to keep the fuel as cool as possible. You can try wrapping the fuel line with an insulating tape, and keeping the line away from the hot manifold will help as well.

Most folks with vapor lock problems add an electric fuel pump in line to help push fuel up to the carb. That virtually eliminates issues with vapor loc

Joe-

Can this fuel pump be up front, or must it be back at the tank? Does there have to be a bypass line also?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 06:51:09 AM »
Electric pumps work best when they push fuel. So, install as close to the tank as possible.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 09:26:05 AM »
OK, just not looking forward to installing that long extra wire. I assume there is no key switched wire already back there.

Back to the original post- chances of vapor lock increase at higher altitude, so the mountain climb could be a factor.

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
ok retired wrench it does crank slowly when its hot ,,and it seems it drains the battery quicker when the car is cool it cranks and cranks but it will usually fire after 2 cranks but if it gets real hot it cranks slow could it be the starter.

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »

Yes it could be starter, battery, bad cables or connections. Make sure it has 6 volt cables not 12 volt. 6 volt cables are much larger in diameter. Good luck

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
Based on other posts you've made, I think a good place to start would be the battery unless you know it's fairly new. Batteries are much more vulnerable than the other parts mentioned and they only last about 5 years regardless of how much use they get.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »
i dont think it is the battery  cause it will crank and crank but when it gets hot it will crank slower and drain the battery quicker ,,some one told me you have to lube the starters on these old cars,,if so how and what kind of  lube would you use thanks again guys for all the help