Author Topic: My Latest Acquisition  (Read 37202 times)

h-e-n-r-y-j

• View Profile
Re: My Latest Acquisition
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2015, 07:58:27 AM »
The car looks great! I sold my last spare HJ6 water pump on eBay for $39. Sorry I can't help.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2015, 11:40:58 AM »
I found one at kanter.com. Probably paid more than I should have but they guaranteed the pump and quick shipping.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2015, 08:20:17 AM »
Well, a miracle occurred yesterday. I installed the inner and outer fenders and then the hood and everything fit with none of the dreaded scraping of the hood on the cowl. I had visions of the hood neatly removing the fresh cowl paint but it opens and closes without issue.

Next up...the wiring harness!

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2015, 09:46:06 AM »
Did you pick one up from Mr McBride??
Great progress!!
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2015, 07:51:32 AM »
The wiring harness is in and my hat is off to Bob McBride for the quality work he does. Everything fits like it should, the harness has the right connectors in the right places and it lays in the car correctly. If you're considering a new harness, he's the guy to call!

Now, on to the door gaskets. Once again, my car had none when it arrived so I have no idea where the gasket starts/stops. I know it's near the upper door hinge but I'm guessing there's a certain way to install it to keeps leaks to a minimum. Can someone post a pic of theirs?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2015, 09:13:36 AM »
As you probably know Jim, the '53 HJ door gaskets/seals are different than the '51s which are notorious leakers. The main difference is the addition of the rubber gasket inside the front of the door sill (top and bottom pictures below).
It's kind of dark in my garage but these pictures are of my '53 J which I believe to still have the original rubber seals.
If they're not helpful, or if you need more pics, let me know and I can move a few cars and back it out in the sun light.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:17:39 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2015, 09:49:25 PM »
Interesting. There's another part this car is missing, the door jamb gasket. I have new door gaskets (from Rudy) but he never mentioned the gasket that mounts to the front part of the jamb. I think I have enough to go on to install the door gaskets. Thanks Lowell!

About all that's left to do is to install the door gaskets, front bumper, some grille trim and then a new battery and cables. With any luck, we'll have it running in a day or two!

h-e-n-r-y-j

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2015, 10:16:25 PM »
Lowell: Isn't there a KF Service Bulletin that describes the improved door gasket arrangement on HJ's? Is it among the Service Bulletins that I sent your way a couple years ago?

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2015, 11:37:01 AM »
That's it Jim B! The fellow who lived just a mile or so from me, made some for his '53 J based on this info.
Here's the picture he sent me. He no longer owns the car, it's in FL now.  Yes, the red reflector seen in the pic is not original. That car had numerous modifications but still a nice example.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2015, 12:23:15 PM »
Thanks guys for the information. I just checked my car and found the upper and lower holes in the door pillars so at one time, my car had the gaskets. I guess I'll try to cobble something together.

Just to be sure, in the absence of the pillar gaskets, the door gaskets themselves completely encircle the door frame, correct? And the gasket starts laying against the door frame, works down, and ends with the gasket overlapping the beginning by 3 or 4 inches, right? I've only got one shot with this so I want to be sure I get it right!

Also, has anyone installed the 46-18 Steele Rubber gasket as the trunk gasket in a J? In a previous post, it was mentioned that it can be used. If anyone did use it, which way did you install it?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2015, 01:01:32 PM »
I just went  out and looked at my cars again. My '52 HJ Vagabond has had new weatherstrip installed at one time as is evident by the look of having been shaved with a blade. My '53 appears to be original so I took some pics. See if these help:
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2015, 06:58:34 PM »
We're getting close! All that's left is to attach the drive shaft, door panels, and dimmer switch and we'll be ready for a test run. Tomorrow, I hope!

h-e-n-r-y-j

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
I recall that the door seals do not run the entire length of the door frame. I tries that once and the door flew back at me. Plus, you have to leave room for water to exit the car.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2015, 09:02:37 PM »
This is how the doors in Edgar Kaiser's Henry J were done - not original of course but they do not leak at all.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe