Author Topic: 49 Traveler rear door stuck shut  (Read 963 times)

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
49 Traveler rear door stuck shut
« on: December 19, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
The rear door on my 49 Kaiser Traveler is stuck shut, I have no room to work to pull the panel off and  get to the assembly, anyone have any suggestions. The door handles on the other two doors wouldn't engage the latches and I  had a field day with them also. I ended up climbing from the back into the front seat then hitting the interior of the front doors many times to get them open. The rear passanger door has been treated with spray lube and I have used a small prybar to attempt to open it and I would almost swear it was welded shut like the rear drivers door.  Thanks for your suggestions.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 49 Traveler rear door stuck shut
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:12:29 PM »
This is a bit drastic but here goes....

Assuming that the hatch (upper and lower) opens completly and will stay up (or can be braced to be open), remove the rear seat out the hatch.  This will give you a bit more manuvering room.  Next, unscrew the upper trim molding on the door.  You now should be able to access the fitting on the inside door panel and CAREFULLY pry out each of the fasteners.  With the inside of the door area now exposed, check the latch assembly and lube it up good...you will find you can hit the latch with lubricant from all kinds of angles.  Also you can check to see if any part of the remote latch assembly (the push-button opener and other areas) is badly coroded or otherwise will not move.  A stuck part of the assembly can prevent latch movement of the type you describe. 

The passenger side rear seat door is NOT welded shut unless an owner did it to use the car more as a truck.  Since the driver side rear door is welded shut at the factory also welding the passenger side shut would defeat the entire purpose of having a rear seat for people.  Bending with a prybar runs the risk of bending the door frame on the shell, the door itself as well as the latch mechanism.