Author Topic: Exhaust leak into the cooling system on a 225 Kaiser 6 Cylinder??  (Read 10123 times)

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
I flushed out and changed the coolant in my 53 Traveler Deluxe today.   I noticed bubbles in the coolant after it reached operating temperature.   I don't have access to a combustion leak detecter but I would like to know from those of you that have been through this before, what are the most common causes for an exhaust leak into the cooling system for this particular engine?

THe engine runs fine except it does run on the warm side until it is over 85 degrees, then it is at the maximum even with the heater going full blast.  It has never overheated for me, yet.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

IowaTom

Re: Exhaust leak into the cooling system on a 225 Kaiser 6 Cylinder??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 05:03:26 PM »
PJ - I hate to say this, but with the evidence of running hot, to near overheating, my thought would be a head gasket breach.  A compression tester is not too expensive and would confirm or shoot down my gut.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 08:38:05 PM »
I have one of those, will try it next week, thanks.
54 Darrin # 81

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »
Sorry, but I don't think a compression tester will help. It can be used to tell the condition of the valves and rings. If you have a head
gasket to intake valve leak, you will "burn" antifreeze. If the leak is large enough the tailpipe will have white smoke and the bad
cylinder will have a clean spark plug without soot because of the water in the antifreeze cleaning the plug. If you have your condition,
which is overheating and bubbles in the radiator you probably have a head gasket to exhaust valve leak. When this happens exhaust
gases are pushed into the coolant and it overheats. A pressure tester can be hooked to the radiator and then see if it holds pressure,
but this only tells you that there is a leak or not. It doesn't tell you where the leak is. I think the head needs to come off to see what
has happened.

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:20:34 PM »
I had a old 9n Ford tractor that did the same thing except I was also getting oil in the radiator, it ran for years like that but that's not advisable and it had a cracked block, your problem is probably as everyone said just the headgasket and that's a easy fix on these flat heads. Also keep in mind serious damage can be done if a lot of water gets into the combustion chamber, water will not compress and damage could result, I would say not to run this until the gasket has been checked.
1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe
1959 Mercury 4 Dr
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Dr
1959 Morris Minor 1000 2 Dr
1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4 Dr

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 07:59:19 PM »
There is oil residue in the cooling system.   Does that mean I might have a cracked block or a crack in the exhaust port???
54 Darrin # 81

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 09:45:07 AM »
You might have a cracked block. What is the color of the crankcase oil? If it looks like milk chocolate, coolant it getting into your oil.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
I checked the oil, all is well!
54 Darrin # 81

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 11:35:16 AM »
Don't think the worst right away, just pull the head and examine the gasket, another unlikely possibility, is that it could have a warped head, you are gonna have to take it apart and have a look, if you aren't sure what you are looking at get a experienced person to help you. I can scout up the tightening sequence of the bolts and the torque requirements when you need them or you may find info on Circle KF.
1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe
1959 Mercury 4 Dr
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Dr
1959 Morris Minor 1000 2 Dr
1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4 Dr

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 11:42:55 AM »
I won't be doing anything till after the holidays, thanks for the input. 
54 Darrin # 81

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
If it is a gasket leak, ten to one it is between #3 and #4 cyls .This engine has two exhaust valves side by side concentrating a lot of heat in that spot! You can get quite a discussion on the use of gasket cement on this gasket.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 03:21:33 PM »
I am a big fan of Permatex Spray Adhesive on old engines. I think the adhesive compensates for unevenness of the surface
especially the large surface of a head gasket. I paid to have my head gasket replaced and then found coolant in my exhaust
manifold several months later. I then  pulled the head myself and put in a new gasket using Permatex and no more leaks. I used
it on the thermostat housing too. Later on I wanted to change the thermostat, so I used a very thin putty knife and slid it
between the head and the housing and it came right off. New gasket glued and new thermostat and all was well.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 12:47:27 AM »
K-F service bulletin #314 details the correct procedure for installing a 226 head. If this procedure is not followed the gasket is pretty much guaranteed to leak and eventually blow out.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
Ok, where do I get a copy or be able to read it???
54 Darrin # 81