Author Topic: Is it just me???  (Read 8439 times)

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is it just me???
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 12:12:27 PM »
As for the delay in getting me going, I am sure it is due to the holiday.  I am in no rush I just don't want to be ridiculed for being a non member of your club anymore, so I joined.

Please understand and be patient ~ Mike is not able to immediately send out the New Member packets, but as soon as he notifies me I send the current eBulletin. If you want to "get it going" email me your registered name so I can verify your membership and sen the eBulletin.

If you felt ridiculed by my comments, I apologize. It was never my intent to mock you, merely to remind you that this is our club ~ not your Buick club or any other club ~ and that we have our own perspective and way of doing things.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 05:52:31 PM »
My name and information follow -

Bryan J Moran
2823 Arnold Road
Des Moines, Iowa 50310
phone  515 - 201 - 8490
abc.moran@netzero.net

No old cars owned.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2019, 08:25:32 AM »
I am saddened by how few people we have left on our Forum, when I look at what is posted on the Facebook page for Kaiser-Frazer cars!!!   I posted pictures on the Darrin segment and it was looked at by only 12!!!!   And no comments!!   

I refuse to add to the exodus to Facebook and will continue to post on the Forum as I finish the restoration of my Darrin. 
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2019, 12:02:40 PM »
several years ago I argued against the face book KF page claiming that it would dilute the hits in these Forums--I was summarily skewered by many as being out of touch

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2019, 03:11:19 PM »
The faceboook page that was using the name KFOCI was a private site and it was asked to shut down as it has no relationship to the club.  Our site is meant for interested kaiser Frazer, and Willys owners and has proved to be very popular.  Let's support it and the club as they have helped many of us with our cars and questions about almost any K-F-W question.  This site is ours and the other facebook site is gone.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2019, 06:18:10 PM »
You’re going to get more traffic(views) through social media! Is what it is...if you want to attract younger membership...there’s your venue. Just saying. Although I frequent the forum, social media is more conducive to the audience you wish to attract. I’ll say it again. There needs to be an official FB page. The forum is great for the archived threads, but is viewed as a outdated by many. Don’t shoot the messenger😂
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2019, 07:41:23 PM »
Correction - the KFOCI Facebook page was THE club page and was closed because FB set it up incorrectly and as a result, very few people could post and fewer could see what was posted. They incorrectly set it up as a closed group business account.

While forums like this have their place, today people want instant gratification - answers in real time and the ability to network right now with those with similar interests. The AACA has a FB page as well as a healthy message forum. They recognize the need to reach the broader audience and the KFOCI needs to do the same.

I did some research recently - I went to the various KF related FB pages and jotted down the names of those who posted who were not club members that I was aware of. I then went to the club's online registry to see how many were club members. Care to guess how many were? If you said zero, you are correct.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2019, 08:08:22 PM »
I am saddened by how few people we have left on our Forum, when I look at what is posted on the Facebook page for Kaiser-Frazer cars!!!   I posted pictures on the Darrin segment and it was looked at by only 12!!!!   And no comments!!   

I refuse to add to the exodus to Facebook and will continue to post on the Forum as I finish the restoration of my Darrin.

First off I think FB intrusively gobbles up every bit of information it can harvest from your computer. Given that, I registered with a generic free email account, don't use my real name (Aero Lark) and always log off FB as soon as I'm finished checking the forums to minimize them harvesting my computer activity.

On the other hand, imagine my satisfaction being able to interact with a very active Aero group with hundreds of members, compared with what I've always described as being the "red headed step child" marque of this forum. I still check in here daily and interact when I think I've got something to offer, and I think it's still a valuable forum...………….but I don't think (in my case) that it hurts to frequent both sites.
Whenever I "meet" a new Aero owner I always mention both groups. I'll leave it to the guys "behind the curtain" here to compare new Aero registrants to the member number publicly posted on the Aero FB page.

I've suggested linking groups in the past but it looks like the prevailing course is...……...unchanged.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2019, 09:43:09 PM »
I just don't see any redeeming value in facebook.  They take things and articles from anyplace I post them and send them to people I do not know and I see pictures of me posted on line and they are from my family pictures.  Now they are using facial recognition and gather all of the pictures they find and offer them to anyone they choose.  It is pretty scary to me an I want not part of them.  You certainly get "instant gratification" from our forum without having to worry about seeing your responses all over the internet.  Just Google your self and discover what facebook has done for you.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2019, 07:45:42 AM »
..…………..  Just Google your self and discover what facebook has done for you.

I did and didn't see myself anywhere except likely buried in the other 139 people with my name in my state. Same for Google images, which was entertaining. The top 6 were 3 black criminals, 2 were *** offenders, an Asian looking guy and two white guys, only one about my age.

Posting high quality/resolution photos can sometimes be tempting for others to download. I read a story a few years ago about an average 2 parent, 2 kid American family on vacation in an Asian country. They were astonished to find a very large color poster of themselves in a food shop window, apparently advertising a brand of bread. Turns out the mom had previously posted that photo on the net, in high resolution, and someone pirated it for an advertising photo.

The internet is an open book, and quite often, archived too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayback_Machine

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2019, 08:30:41 AM »
I was particularly offended by the posting of Facebook Kaiser cars for sale ON OUR FORUM!   I am not on Facebook so the links did me no good.  I don't care if people post BOTH on this forum and Facebook, but what a slap when someone posts Facebook links here.

I am marginally on Facebook and can not navigate it.  I don't remember my log in, don't have much on my personal page, which was set up by my wife and daughter.  I am on LinkedIn, but don't go there but once a month.  I can get this forum on my iPhone, so why do I need "facebook"?
No old cars owned.

njpatera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2019, 08:42:11 AM »
As a person in tech, teaching, and a musician...my info and pics are everywhere and fingerprints on file as a professional. That said, anytime you’re on a computer you've left digital footprints and your info has already been harvested. There’s no way around that and been that way for years(not just Facebook). There are cameras everywhere that acquire your pics so facial recognition is not solely a computer thing. Cameras everywhere capture your image just going about your daily life. Whether you want to or not, it’s already been harvested. Just the digital age we live in. As for not seeing a use for Facebook or other social media...it’s a generational difference! Hell, if Henry Ford had his way, Fomoco would still be stuck at the Model T and Model A...I’ll use whatever source gets me the info or contacts I need...it’s simply called networking. Forgetting a password is a personal issue. Write it down. My 3rd graders do it every day...my junior high kiddos realize they need to when they don’t 😂. Reality is, there are more non club members on FB...This is a missed opportunity in what has been brought up so many times...decline in numbers.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:49:14 AM by njpatera »
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon

Member #5954

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2019, 09:27:27 AM »
..…………. Reality is, there are more non club members on FB...This is a missed opportunity in what has been brought up so many times...decline in numbers.

I don't see a downside to a merger with the FB group(s) and bringing them into the club. Allow the "free rides" but push the memberships, even just the Associate level.

njpatera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
^^^^^^Yes
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon

Member #5954

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2019, 02:06:34 PM »
These are all good arguments but why do we really need a second forum when we have a fine one that works and is easy to find.  We would only be competing with ourselves and answering the same questions over and over again.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom