Author Topic: Edmunds parts  (Read 12135 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Edmunds parts
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 10:43:07 PM »
Terry Zeug has one of the heads on eBay now with a $400 opening bid and a $500 "buy it now" price.  They have to be scarce!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

FrazerWill

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 09:42:25 AM »
gordie, I was looking at it too and was wondering why one carb sits higher then the other...

47trev

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »
Im not positive but one carb higher than the other is generally for looks. I think it only works if both carbs feed all six cylinders. My edmunds manifold is split each carb only feeds 3 cylinders its really hard to get them tuned just right if the intake plenum were different sizes (if one carb was higher) i dont think i could tune them the same.The guy i bought my edmunds head from had a manifold with one carb higher than the other and he had a machine shop shave it off and make them equal.

FrazerWill

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 10:28:41 PM »
It looks like someone grabbed up the intake...It's not there anymore. Did some one save the EBay item # to see if its gone?

47trev

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 08:36:43 AM »
Its gone i was watching it
Someone did a buy it now for $500

red mistress

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 09:31:23 PM »
I have this Edmunds twin carb intake.  It's NOS never installed.

I'm a Willys PU Utility and Jeep enthusist/collector and have decided to install a McCullouch huffer.

Would trade the intake for a "nice" Kaiser VS57B supercharger set-up.
Would need the crank pulley, harmonic balancer, correct dizzy dwell, blower, engine mount with spring & carb box for trade. (complete)

Trev...that Edmunds head & motor looks nice !
54 Willys PU Super Hurricane, dual output PTO with rear gearbox and implement lift.
67 Jeep Gladiator J3000 AMC 327 T98 Ramsey PTO
69 Jeepster convertible 8701 Dauntless, automatic
83 Scrambler 84 CJ-7 87 J20

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 05:59:54 AM »
It should be noted that while Edmunds heads were popular on various hot rods, the aluminum alloy of the day could be problematic over time because of combustion heat.  K-F had this problem with their experimental aluminum V-8 motor.  Also, as anti-freeze chemical composition changed over time, you had new corrosives introduced into the mix.  It was for that reason that GM finally came up with DEX-COOL and even that has a problem (by around 100,000 miles or so, the stuff starts getting the consistency of cheese and begins to look like same). 

We've run DEX-COOL in the Lumina from day one, we have over 216,000 miles on the car, and outside of the head deck problem at 105,000 miles (reflection of that 'cheese' thing) Barbara and I have had no problems with water pump, water lines or other coolant problems.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »
One of these showed up at the Eastern Division meet last weekend. It's now in my garage...we'll see how the Traveler does with it installed!

stacks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Regarding the different hights of the carbs, I understand that these engines were used in racing boats. These dual carb manifolds were designed for use in them.   The engines were installed as such a severe angle to feed the prop that the dual carb manifold needed to have different length inputs to keep the carbs level.  Thats what I was told, and I'm sticking to it.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »
Edmunds tried to sell the heads to Kaiser-Frazer in volume and I have a copy of an inter-office memo with tentative wholesale and retail pricing of the item as an add on to the existing 226.  K-F, of course, did not pick up the part.  Sales in the 1950's were limited at best so they would indeed be rare today, given that typically heads installed went to the junkyard (and crusher) with the head still on it.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 08:06:31 PM »
I will remind readers that at one time John Parker ran a Edmonds head and manifold on his 48 Kaiser. I don't know about wear and chemical corrosion on the head (I suspect it was of concern) but mpg with the dual single barrel carb set up was horrible as compared to the stock setup and he eventually changed back to stock components. The legends do say he beat at least one speeding ticket because the cops didn't believe a 48 Kaiser could go 30 mph over the speed limit on an interstate.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170